October 14, 2016 Yardbirds review from the NYC B.B. King's show by Elmore Magazine and great pictures, too! Click here for the review.
September 8, 2016 Johnny has started a Stage It profile where we will periodically stream live shows. Please go and sign up to follow Johnny A. and you will be notified when shows will be aired. Click here for Stage It.
July 30, 2016 Great Yardbirds review from Pasadena Star-News - click here!
May 23, 2016 Yardbirds' gigs added for Tokyo and Honolulu! - New USA Yardbirds dates just added for the West Coast!
February 4, 2016 Johnny will be joining The Yardbirds for a couple of shows "across the pond" in England this April.
Friday 15 April 2016
The Yardbirds at
Under the Bridge, Fulham, UK
Saturday 16 April 2016
with Ten Years After, Dr. Feelgood, Bernie Marsden, Mick Ralphs, Larry Miller, The Graveltones, Pig Iron, Henrys Funeral Shoe, Sugarman Sam & The Voodoo Men at
O2 Academy Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
January 7, 2016 JA excerpt from the movie, "Turn It Up!"
Johnny A. discusses with Turn It Up! how he came to play guitar. Click here for the video clip.
January 6, 2016 Fuzz-Fueled Flying With The Yardbirds
New February '16 Guitar Player interview with JA on being a Yardbird - click here for the pdf
November 3, 2015
Goldmine Magazine: The Yardbirds deliver a “most blueswailing” show at B.B. King’s in NYC - Great review of the show - Click here
October 26, 2015
Johnny A. interview in Guitar International about becoming a Yardbird- click here.
October 11, 2015 Johnny A. talks about joining The Yardbirds in this interview with WBZ NewsRadio Boston- click here.
October 24, 2015
Johnny A. writes: Some last minute change to The Yardbirds "Yardboard."
1. Swapped out the BPC MKI Tonebender for the Sola Sound MKI Tonebender "prototype."
2. Swapped out the Wah-Wah for the "Handwired" VOX Wah-Wah.
3. Added a JHS Pedals "little black buffer" (mounted under board).
4. Remounted the pedals on my custom Fix Pedalboards.
See y'all soon!! ja
October 21, 2015
Johnny A. writes: So... a couple of weeks ago I posted a pic of the pedal board I was going to use for the upcoming The Yardbirds tour starting on Oct 30... minus one "special" pedal. Well... here 'tis! I am honored to have been given the prototype of the "original" ToneBender MKI replicated by world renown fuzz guru David Main for Sola Sound. (thank you Anthony Macari)
For those who are unaware, the very first MKI Tonebender was given to Jeff Beck to use with the Yardbirds. Now the very first "official" replication was given to me for use with The Yardbirds! Pretty cool!!! PS: Sounds AMAZING!!!
October 16, 2015
Johnny A. is currently in the studio with Mickey Curry (Bryan Adams, Hall & Oates) and Jack Daley (Lenny Kravitz, Joss Stone) recording an album for Chinese superstar "Jin."
Keith Stuart producing, Peter Moshay engineering.
October 1, 2015 The Yardbirds announce Fall 2015 North American Tour - from Guitar Aficianado - click here.
September 9, 2015 How cool are these?
JA's new picks!
August 12, 2015 It's official: Johnny A. is now a Yardbird!
After postponing a brief North American tour earlier this year, The Yardbirds are pleased to announce their 2015 Fall tour.
Kicking off on Friday, October 30 in Norfolk, CT, The Yardbirds – founding member and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Jim McCarty, renowned guitarist Johnny A. (Peter Wolf, Bobby Whitlock), bassist Kenny Aaronson (Bob Dylan, Billy Idol), singer/blues harpist/percussionist Myke Scavone (Ram Jam & Doughboys), and guitarist/singer John Idan – will tour throughout October and November. Click here for more details.
June 9, 2015 Johnny and friends at the Les Paul 100th birthday celebration in NYC. Left to right: Steve Vai, Steve Miller, Joe Bonamassa, Johnny A., Joe Satriani, Neal Schon, and Warren Haynes. Click photo for larger version.
Johnny playing Superstition at the Les Paul 100th Birthday Celebration at Hard Rock NYC
March 27, 2015 The Les Paul Foundation Announces the Official 100th Birthday of Les Paul - A surprise performance will open the June 9th event followed by a performance by the popular band, “Counts 77.” The band’s lead singer, Danny Koker, star of the highly rated History Channel TV show “Counting Cars,” had a special connection to Les Paul through his father who was a musician. The History Channel will air a special Les Paul episode in the fall of 2015. A one-of-a-kind custom built chopper created by Count’s Kustoms will be unveiled at The Hard Rock event and later auctioned for the benefit of The Les Paul Foundation through Julien’s Auctions. “Count’s 77” performance will culminate with rock star friends of Les taking to the stage for the ultimate guitar jam. Legendary Steve Miller, Journey’s Neal Schon, Rock Icon Joan Jett, instrumental guitarist and member of the rock band “Chickenfoot,” Joe Satriani, rock guitarist Johnny A and the Les Paul Trio along with more surprise performers are scheduled to appear. Click here for the full article in Premiere Guitar
February 12, 2015 A video montage from The Cotton Club in Tokyo, Japan.
February 5, 2015 Just released: Gone... Like A Sunset live from Daryl's House from the January 3rd show!
January 19, 2015 Johnny will be appearing at The Cotton Club in Tokyo, Japan for three nights,
February 8, 9, & 10.
Here is the promotional video from The Cotton Club:
November 11, 2014 I have just learned that I am being inducted into the "Boston Music Hall of Fame" at this year's Boston Music Awards. We will perform at this year's Award Show which is on Dec 14 at the Revere Hotel. I have to say that this was totally unexpected. Being a performing artist on the Boston Music scene since 1975, I'm flattered, honored and humbled by this induction as the City of Boston has produced and is still producing extremely talented World Class Artists. I'd like to send a shout out to all the people that have, and still support my efforts...my family and friends, band members (present and past), booking agents, manufacturers, DJs, media, benefactors, etc...it's a pretty long list actually! ...On with the Show!!
November 7, 2014 Great blog from one of the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp participants in Johnny's group: click here
August 6, 2014 Limited edition 180g audiophile vinyl - Hand gold-foil stamped numbered edition of 500 pieces, pressed and plated at Pallas Germany.
Includes a digital download card- now available to order online. Very limited availability - click here to order.
July 22, 2014 From Premiere Guitar: "This month, guitarist Johnny A. joins us in thinking inside the box, as we ponder what type of amp best suits our individual personalities." Click here for more informatio
May 13, 2014 Exclusive | Guitar World: Johnny A. premieres new song, Gone...(Like A Sunset)
Guitar World presents the exclusive premiere of Johnny's new song, Gone...(Like A Sunset) from his new album, Driven. Click here for the article
April 30, 2014
Worcester Magazine Review
Friday, April 25, 2014 at Mechanics Hall.
Steven King/Worcester Magazine
Johnny A. and his new band took the stage next, and after the first few songs, he admitted to the audience a touch of jitters, with all new band members and new songs. He need not have worried, as the band was tight as nails from the first note. Drummer Marty Richards, in particular, impressed. With no singer in the band, Johnny A. took on the difficult task of keeping the audience captive through an entire set of instrumentals. And captive they were, as Johnny blazed across the guitar neck, his fingers forming every possible chord imaginable, while controlling his many guitar effects to perfection. It was a stew of virtuosity that left the crowd in awe.
Two songs in particular stood out to me. In The Beatles' ballad “Yes It Is,” Johnny’s guitar tones were drippingly gorgeous, and playing the song instrumentally really brings out the raw beauty of the melody. “You Don’t Love Me,” the blues standard, was given a highly creative treatment, utilizing a half-time rhythm and some interesting sexy stops, combined with extreme soft/loud dynamics. Of course, Johnny A. also did his radio hit “Oh Yeah!” to perfection.
March 19, 2014 New album, Driven, is out now! Available on the Shop page as a digital and CD order.
February 18, 2014
Johnny's new album, Driven, is due for pre-release in March 2014. Consisting of ten new songs and a very cool cover song, this album marks a departure for Johnny.
As an independent artist, Johnny is launching a PledgeMusic campaign to raise funds to promote and publicize the new album. There are many special offers for pledgers, from early release CD's, one-of-a-kind items, and vinyl to one of the Gibson Johnny A. Signature model guitars that Johnny used to record the new album!
January 22, 2014
- Check out the new Johnny A. Interview by Gibson Guitars. Johnny talks about the making of his new album, Driven, what guitars and amps were used, and how he approaches finding a cover song. Click here for the interview.
December 10, 2013
- File under: for those who are interested!
Album update: 6 of the 11 songs for the new album are 100% completed. There are 5 remaining. Those 5 have been recorded and only need to be mixed. Trying my hardest to stay on target for a February release. Thanks for all the messages of encouragement! Hang in there. Best, Johnny A.
December 5, 2013
- Johnny's version of the holday classic, Sleigh Ride, is avaiable for downlaod!
November 11, 2013
- Johnny is in the middle of mixing the new album - title to be determined. Three songs done... stay tuned!"
June 23, 2013
- Johnny reports: "That's it!! Officially a wrap... I finished cutting the very last solo for my new album yesterday. Now to dismantle the studio and install the new SSL console. Can't wait to begin mixing...oh boy, decisions, decisions!!! Stay tuned. ja"
June 15, 2013
- Last minute gig addition: Johnny will be playing The Falcon in Marlboro NY June 21st! Check Shows for new dates!
April 28, 2013
-Johnny is pleased to be on the Top Twenty Bands in Boston list - check it out here!
April 18, 2013
-Here's a great photo of Johnny with Jeff Beck from the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp - click here!
April 16, 2013
-Johnny is heading out to Las Vegas tomorrow for the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp with Jeff Beck, Brian Wilson, and billy Sheehan asmong others. Look for some photos from the camp.
Johnny is finished with ten songs for the new album and final mixes should be done soon.
March 3, 2013
-Just announced! Johnny has been asked to join Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp with Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson! Listen to Johnny's announcement here and Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp link here.
March 1, 2013
-Johnny has some really exciting news! Check back here for the big announcement!
February 7, 2013
-PLEASE NOTE: The sold out Kennett Flash show has been postponed to March 22nd due to the impending storm.
February 1, 2013
-Johnny posted on his facebook page that there are only three more tracks to be recorded for the new album!
January 9, 2013
-How beautiful is this Gibson Johnny A. that the Custom Shop made for Rascals' guitarist, Gene Cornish? Click here!
December 12, 2012
- NOTE - This show is now sold out! Tickets for Johnny A. at the Kennett Flash on February 9, 2013 go on sale today at 12PM sharp. Get your tickets while they last at www.etix.com.
November 1, 2012
-Johnny A. has been nominated as Blues Artist of the Year in the 2012 Boston Music Awards. Johnny A. won this category in 2010 and was nominated for the same award in 2011. Voting is currently open to the public at bostonmusicawards25.com, at this writing until November 19, 2012 at 11:59 P.M. The Boston Music Awards is celebrating twenty-five years of bringing together the music community of New England. Their goals are to honor the region's best performers, raise money for music charities and to help guarantee that New England's stages and studios are filled with talent for years to come. The awards ceremony will be held at The Liberty Hotel in Boston on December 2, 2012, and its performance lineup, featuring some of the region's most impressive established and emerging talent across various genres, will be announced at Redstar Union on November 7, 2012. Click here for Boston Music Awards website!
October 30, 2012
-Johnny A. was also recently ranked #3 on Hardrock Haven's Top 12 Guitar Players You Must See Live which described him as "one of the finest, most musical guitar players you'll ever have the pleasure of experiencing ...a true bonafide tone-monster with compositions that drip with emotion." Hardrock Haven, a premier online magazine for fans of Hard Rock, Classic Rock and Metal since 2002, ranked Johnny among legendary performers including Eric Clapton, Zakk Wylde, Slash and Jeff Beck. To see the complete list check out hardrockhaven.net.
September 13, 2012
-Hi, I've been telling you for a couple of weeks now that I have a very cool announcement to make, and here it is!
I am excited to share with you that I have been asked to participate as a counselor at the legendary "Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp - Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Camp" And for the first time ever, "Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp" salutes the Blues!
Join me, along with a host of other "Rock-Star" counselors for 5 days in Las Vegas, from Nov. 7 - 11, as we write, record and perform! Special Guest performers include the incomparable Warren Haynes and Jack Bruce!...with more to be added.
They tell me space is limited and...it goes fast. Click the link for complete details. And remember...What Happens In Vegas, Stays In Vegas! Click here for more information!
September 6, 2012
- STUDIO SESSIONS: Episode 17: Find out why Johnny LOVES the Hofner bass and check out the "Guitar Of The Week" from his personal collection - the Hofner '62 reissue! Click here!
August 16, 2012
- STUDIO SESSIONS: Episode 14 is in with Fan Question and Guitar Of the Week! This week's featured guitar from Johnny's personal collection is... the Gibson Guitar Johnny A. model of course! Click here!
July 26, 2012
- You guys have been asking for a while now, for me to release the singles of "One November Night" - I am happy to announce that I have done just that! As of today, you can download any of the songs off "One November Night" for 99¢. Not only did I release the singles, I am also happy to announce a reduced priced on the digital One November Night Album!
- I just uncovered a lost jam from the "Get Inside" sessions and I've decided to mix it and get it out to you guys soon! Check the Facebook page for upcoming announcements on that release!
July 19, 2012
STUDIO SESSIONS | Episode 11
- Find out if Johnny uses a real drummer or samples, why he chose John Storyk to design his new studio, what new music he's listening to and more! Check it out here!
May 1, 2012
- For the first time ever, a limited number of Johnny A. t-shirts are now available online! Get yours while they last! Click here
April 28, 2012
- Johnny has finished pre-production on his highly anticipated next studio album and has started recording. Follow him on his "making of" journey as he documents his "Studio Sessions" via "American Guitarist TV" Click here
April 28, 2012
- Johnny has started a youtube channel called American Guitarist TV Check it out here!
March 29, 2012
- "Thank you Les," Lou Pallo's star-studded tribute to Les Paul featuring Johnny A. The CD recording, DVD documentary and vinyl record are scheduled to be released this summer. Click here for more information.
March 27, 2012
- Monster Cable VP, Bobby Baker, recently stopped in at Nirvana Studios
to visit with Johnny and to get a little taste of some demos off Johnny's new record. Click here for a picture.
February 10, 2012
- Check out Get Inside live from Rockpalast in Germany. The rest of the show will be broadcast soon, but here's a teaser! - click here.
January 7, 2012
- From GitaarPlus magazine in the Netherlands comes a great article on JA - check it out here.
January 1, 2012
- Have a safe and Happy New Year! Johnny is working at Nirvana Studios on demos for his next album. Hope to see you all at the shows in 2012!
December 24, 2011
- Happy Holidays everyone! JA
November 14, 2011
- NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!!
I CAME HOME FROM A GREAT TOUR ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT MY HOUSE WAS BURGLARIZED LAST NIGHT. AT LEAST 3 OF MY GUITARS WERE STOLEN, TWO ARE VERY RECOGNIZABLE. THEY ARE:
1) 1968 GIBSON EB-2D BASS IN RARE BURGUNDY SPARKLE METALLIC FINISH
2) GIBSON MONTANA CUSTOM ADVANCED JUMBO ACOUSTIC SUNBURST FINISH VERY RARE ONE OF 40 PIECES, IDENTIFIED BY IT'S SLIMMER BODY AND RARE 3 PIECE BACK
3) HOFNER REISSUE MCCARTNEY BASS NOT MY GERMAN ONE, BUT HOLDS SENTIMENTAL VALUE AS IT WAS A CHRISTMAS GIFT FROM MY FAMILY. ANY INFORMATION HELPFUL IN GETTING THESE INSTRUMENTS BACK WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...PLEASE RE POST AND CHECK CRAIGSLIST ETC...THANK YOU. ja
CBS News story - click here
November 8, 2011
- Johnny is featured in a video from the House of Blues in Paris on Guitare TV
November 4, 2011
- Johnny A. was nominated for 2011 Blues Artist of the Year by the Boston Music Awards. Johnny A. won this category in last year's awards. Now in its 24th year, the Boston Music Awards brings together the music community of New England to honor its best and brightest performers while raising funds to benefit the Music Drives Us Foundation.
Please cast your votes here.
Congratulations and best of luck to Johnny A.! October 22, 2011
- Johnny is flyng back from six fantastic shows at The Blue Note, in Tokyo Japan! Next, he's flying to Europe for a series of dates in the Netherlands, Belguim, and Germany!
The rescheduled West Coast dates are now up on the Shows page! September 13, 2011
Due to an unforeseen medical emergency, the West Coast Johnny A. Tour Dates have been cancelled.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
No further information is available at this time.
September 10, 2011
- Johnny A. announced three new shows at The Blue Note, Tokyo Japan on October 20, 21, and 22.
April 28, 2011
- Johnny A. announced tour dates for Germany this coming November.
March 28, 2011
- Johnny A. will be a featured guest guitarist appearing with the Les Paul Trio at Iridium NYC on April 25th. Click here for more information
From Gibson Guitar's Lifestyle website:
- The Gibson Video Interview: Johnny A. Click here
March 11, 2011
- Johnny A.'s Version of "Walk Away Renee" is #4 on Gibson Guitars' 10 Greatest Valentine's Day Instrumentals. Johnny A. To Be Featured in Boston Legends All Star Concert in March and April.
February 25, 2011
- Johnny will be doing a guitar clinic and workshop at Rick's Music World in Raynham MA at 7pm. Click here for more details!
February 4, 2011
- Johnny A. played at the Legends of Rock And Blues at the Lynn Memorial Auditorium along with Brad Whitford, Brooks Young, James Montgomery, Edgar Winter, and Rick Derringer!
December 5, 2010
- Johnny A. won the Blues Artist of the Year at the Boston Music Awards 2010 tonight at the Liberty Hotel. Johnny would like to thank everyone who voted for him and wants to congratulate former bandmate, Peter Wolf, on his win for Album of the Year! Johnny would also like to congratulate Ryan's Smashing Life on their win for Best Music Blog, and for their support of One November Night this year! Click here to see Johnny's BMA!
November 16, 2010 JOHNNY A. NEEDS YOUR HELP!
I need your help!
I have been nominated for "Blues Artist of the Year" in the 2010 Boston Music Awards.
Though I've been nominated before, I've never won.
Fan voting counts for one third of the vote!!
Please vote for me.
Thanks, Johnny A.
VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!
Johnny will be performing at the BMA's on Sunday, December 5th!
October 2, 2010
- Johnny played the 3rd annual Supergroup Benefit for Right Turn at Showcase Live! in Foxboro MA. On the bill was Rick Derringer, Eliot Easton, Richie Supa, Chad Smith, Ricky Byrd, Kasim Sultan, and more! Johnny played slide on Eric Clapton's, Tell The Truth- check it out here!
September 22, 2010
- Johnny is honored to be asked to participate in this guitar documentary film: Turn It Up! Check it out here!
July 6, 2010
- M. Ward from She and Him joins the Johnny A. guitar alumni along with Kirk Hammett of Metallica and Randy Bachman. He talks to Gibson about why the Johnny A. signature guitar is right for him- click here.
June 29, 2010
- Johnny A. is featured guitarist on a new recording of the Jimmy Webb classic, "Galveston" on Webb's new CD, Just Across The River, out now!
May 19, 2010
- Johnny A. performs on FOX25 Boston - click here.
March 27, 2010
- Johnny A. is featured in The Alternate Root magazine - click here
March 15, 2010
- Johnny A.'s DVD/CD "one november night" was the number 1 seller of music DVD's at Newbury Comics chain and number 8 for ALL DVD sales during its debut week!
March 9, 2010
- DVD/CD release party at House of Blues Boston.
- Johnny talks with WZLX's Carter Alan. Listen to the podcast here.
March 5, 2010
What pops up when you put someone's music on random
By Joan Anderman
Next week Boston''s own guitar hero, Johnny A, is releasing "One November Night," a live CD/DVD set recorded at Scullers Jazz Club on - you guessed it - one night last November. To mark the occasion we asked the virtuoso shredder - who is distributing the new project through his website, www.johnnya.com - to set his iPod to shuffle and give us a glimpse of his music collection. No tracks from Johnny''s desert island artist, Chet Atkins, popped up, but Glen Campbell did.
1. "Do It All Night," Curtis Mayfield
2. "Rain, Rain," Bill Frisell
3. "Good Times Bad Times," Led Zeppelin
4. "L.A. County," Lyle Lovett
5. "Steve''s Boogie," Eric Johnson
6. "Boys," the Beatles
7. "Out of Sight," James Brown
8. "Gentle on My Mind," Glen Campbell
9. "Sling Shot," Jeff Beck
10. "Blue Echo,"Lenny Breau
Total songs: "I would say four or five thousand. How do I find that out?"
Glad we missed: "I think people would be very surprised to know I am a big
Gerry Rafferty fan." February 24, 2010
-Johnny's interview on WCSH6.com, Portland, ME - click here
February 24, 2010
-The Birth of a Great Gibson: Johnny A. tells his signature model's story- click here
February 16, 2010
- Gibson Guitars Lifestyle features a speical artcle on Johnny- read it here.
February 9, 2010
- Preorder your copy of "one november night" now! Shipping on March 9th.
January 10, 2010
- Johnny is pleased to announce the completion of "one november night," a live DVD/CD, recorded at Scullers Jazz Club. Release date is March 9, 2010, and pre-orders will be starting on February 9, 2010. In conjunction with this release, JohnnyA.com is being redesigned.
Check back for more shows, news, and information regarding the DVD/CD and how to order!
December 22, 2009
- Vote for Johnny in Guitar Player 2009 Reader's Choice Poll- click here!
- "I am personally very saddened by the passing of Mr. Les Paul. As well as being such an iconic figure in the world of music, as a player and inventor, Les was truly a gentleman with an unbeatable sense of humor. It has been my honor to have known and played with him. His spirit will surely be missed." - Johnny A.
- Gibson Guitars' Lifestyle Features presents "5 Sexiest Custom Shop Signature Models."
Read more here